Listen Live

HomeNewsCanyon-Lister Elementary to get improved, accessible playground

Canyon-Lister Elementary to get improved, accessible playground

A new and improved playground is on its way to Canyon-Lister Elementary thanks to a grant from the Ministry of Education and Child Care.

Superintendent Trish Smillie says the $195,000, plus an additional $15,000 from School District No. 8, will pay for new and accessible playground equipment.

“We strive to create a caring and inclusive learning culture across our district, and Canyon-Lister’s accessible playground is part of that. Children learn so much through play and I’m thankful to the province for funding playground equipment that students of all abilities can enjoy,” said Smillie in a release.

She adds she expects the students will be very excited to have the new equipment.

- Advertisement -

“We have a priority list of schools over time that receive playground equipment within our school district, and we just go down the list as to who’s next,” explained Smillie.

“This year it was Canyon-Lister’s turn.”

The funds will add equipment to the existing playground, which already includes an accessible saucer swing and merry-go-round.

“Accessible playgrounds are excellent. It means that all students can access the playground. We accommodate some things like the slides and the turf on which the playground equipment rests, so it’s more accessible to students,” added Smillie

“We consider all kinds of physical needs for the different playgrounds, so students who access playgrounds through wheelchairs or have mobility issues can also enjoy the equipment.”

The new equipment will be permanent and will provide proper ground cover for falls, improved access, and accessibility.

Smillie says the Canyon-Lister Parent Advisory Council is working hard on getting the new park up and running.

“We’re really excited that the construction will begin this summer and we hope to have that up and ready to go for children in the fall.”

Currently, four potential layouts are being considered.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading